I had the pleasure of photographing this lovely lady in Tanzania, Africa, while on a mission trip with my family. Many natives are very hesitant to have their photograph taken, believing that photographs steal their souls. While my ability to speak Swahili is quite limited, it's amazing how universal a smile is and how far it can take you in truly connecting with another human being. I absolutely love this image and when I look at it, I think about the gentle spirit she displayed and the love and wisdom I could see in her eyes.
Have you ever wondered what makes a photo stand out and stir certain emotions in you when you look at it? Of course, photos of your family and places you love will naturally give you the warm and fuzzies or leave you in awe but there are also very specific elements in great photos that help bring them to life and make you take a second look.
1. Lighting. When a photograph has beautiful lighting it gives the image a certain mood and highlights the important aspects of a photo. Light is an incredible tool so using natural light from an open window or door or even a soft artificial light can make all the difference.
2. Backdrops. While focusing on a specific person in a photo is how we naturally take photos, that person is only a part of the greater whole. Your background and any other objects in a photo all make up the structure and scene that draw you into that moment.
3. Textures. A good quality photo will usually allow you to pick up on certain textures such as a pair of woolly socks or the texture in a heavy wooden door.
4. Perspective. Sometimes the most beautiful photos are taken from a different perspective such as getting down to a toddler’s level at a birthday party or taking a shot of a tall building by looking all the way up from a street corner.
5. Colors. Play with colors when you take photos, match them up or emphasize specific colors to draw the eye to a certain detail in a picture.
6. The moment. Capturing a moment that will never happen again makes for incredible photos.
Photography isn’t only for the professionals. Everyone has the ability to take a great photo by focusing on a few simple elements, getting creative and being ready to capture something beautiful or everywhere you go.
Cindi Fortmann Photography is a full service studio, specializing in Professional Headshots, Portraits and Commercial Photography. We are located in the heart of Johns Creek, also serving the surrounding areas including Alpharetta, Suwanee, Cumming, Peachtree Corners, etc.